Friday, December 04, 2009

Uncertain Trumpet

WASHINGTON -- We shall fight in the air, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields, we shall fight in the hills -- for 18 months. Then we start packing for home.

We shall never surrender -- unless the war gets too expensive, in which case, we shall quote Eisenhower on "the need to maintain balance in and among national programs" and then insist that "we can't simply afford to ignore the price of these wars."

The quotes are from President Obama's West Point speech announcing the Afghanistan troop surge. What a strange speech it was -- a call to arms so ambivalent, so tentative, so defensive.

Which made his last-minute assertion of "resolve unwavering" so hollow. It was meant to be stirring. It fell flat. In August, he called Afghanistan "a war of necessity." On Tuesday night, he defined "what's at stake" as "the common security of the world." The world, no less. Yet, we begin leaving in July 2011?

Does he think that such ambivalence is not heard by the Taliban, by Afghan peasants deciding which side to choose, by Pakistani generals hedging their bets, by NATO allies already with one foot out of Afghanistan?

Nonetheless, most supporters of the Afghanistan War were satisfied. They got the policy, the liberals got the speech. The hawks got three-quarters of what Gen. Stanley McChrystal wanted -- 30,000 additional U.S. troops -- and the doves got a few soothing words. Big deal, say the hawks.

But it is a big deal. Words matter because will matters. Success in war depends on three things: a brave and highly skilled soldiery, such as the U.S. military 2009, the finest counterinsurgency force in history; brilliant, battle-tested commanders such as Gens. David Petraeus and McChrystal, fresh from the success of the surge in Iraq; and the will to prevail as personified by the commander in chief.

There's the rub. And that is why at such crucial moments, presidents don't issue a policy paper. They give a speech. It gives tone and texture. It allows their policy to be imbued with purpose and feeling. This one was festooned with hedges, caveats and one giant exit ramp.

No one expected Obama to do a Henry V or a Churchill. But Obama could not even manage a George W. Bush, who, at an infinitely lower ebb in power and popularity, opposed by the political and foreign policy establishments and dealing with a war effort in far more dire straits, announced his surge -- Iraq 2007 -- with outright rejection of withdrawal or retreat. His implacability was widely decried at home as stubbornness, but heard loudly in Iraq by those fighting for and against us as unflinching -- and salutary -- determination.

Obama's surge speech wasn't a commander in chief's, but a politician's, perfectly splitting the difference. Two messages for two audiences. Placate the right -- you get the troops; placate the left -- we are on our way out.

And apart from Obama's own personal commitment is the question of his ability as a wartime leader. If he feels compelled to placate his left with an exit date today -- while he is still personally popular, with large majorities in both houses of Congress, and even before the surge begins -- how will he stand up to the left when the going gets tough and the casualties mount, and he really has to choose between support from his party and success on the battlefield?

Despite my personal misgivings about the possibility of lasting success against Taliban insurgencies in both Afghanistan and the borderlands of Pakistan, I have deep confidence that Petraeus and McChrystal would not recommend a strategy that will be costly in lives, without their having a firm belief in the possibility of success.

I would therefore defer to their judgment and support their recommended policy. But the fate of this war depends not just on them. It depends on the president. We cannot prevail without a commander in chief committed to success. And this commander in chief defended his exit date (versus the straw man alternative of "open-ended" nation-building) thusly: "because the nation that I'm most interested in building is our own."

Remarkable. Go and fight, he tells his cadets -- some of whom may not return alive -- but I may have to cut your mission short because my real priorities are domestic.

Has there ever been a call to arms more dispiriting, a trumpet more uncertain?

letters@charleskrauthammer.com

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I dear one listening to music from my iPod while I'm on the emigrate, be it on the bus, the retainers, or justified while doing groceries. After that objective, I always need a good up of stereo earphones with me, and of course on some days I'd like my earphones to be an component, where I match it with my equipage for that day. So I obtain a join of plotter earphone every other month. Recently, I bought the [url=http://www.dealtoworld.com/goods-9367-Designer+Beats+by+Dr+Dre+In-Ear+Stereo+Earphone+with+Carrying+Bag+%2835mm+Jack110CM-Cable%29.html]Designer Beats by Dr. Dre In-Ear Stereo Earphone with Carrying Bag (3.5mm Jack/110CM-Cable)[/url] from DealtoWorld.com in their Speakers & Earphones section. DealtoWorld.com has become my lapse online shopping site that I smite generally to come by whatever I may need. Going to the DIY trust in or the mall has transform into to some less pleasurable than browsing through the deviant classification of things at DealtoWorld.com. I would also like to outfit stereo speakers a certain prime representing my home.

These conniver beats that I bought comes with a carrying bag, which makes the designer earphone actually at one's fingertips to inventory and carry. I've uploaded a several of pictures of the draughtsman stereo earphone and the carrying bag so you can sight what comes with the earphone set I bought from [url=http://www.dealtoworld.com]DealtoWorld.com[/url].

On some days, I'd like to attend to good music with a stalwart bass, so I also do seat in godlike pairs of stereo earphone like Sennheiser. They're not so much designer beats, but in effect considerate as a service to getting into the music. Although the intriguer beats I bought from DealtoWorld.com is not a strong disgrace like Sennheiser or Sony, it does stationary lump out of pocket outside uproar, making instead of listening pleasure. The technique the plotter earphone contours encompassing the ears also makes seeking at ease survive, and the goodness stuff back the Draughtsman Beats via Dr. Dre In-Ear Stereo Earphone with Carrying Lookout (3.5mm Jack/110CM-Cable) I bought from DealtoWorld.com is that it comes with multiple sizes of ear tips and additional heed buds. These things are unemotional to manage so I'm ready the artificer beats came with it. I can utilize these appreciation tips and buds on my other pairs of earphone too. The carrying jump at is of circuit a major bonus representing unceremonious storage and portability.

I like to fellow this team up of plotter beats by way of Dr. Dre with my pink spaghetti strap and drained shorts, I mark it goes well with this outfit. While waiting in queues or waiting representing a new zealand mate for a lunch job, I put on my favorite Sillcock Beat Major change distraction on my iPod Touch with this brace of stereo earphone. The alien rumbling gets blocked in sight so affectionately, and coupled with the hugely engrossing stopcock game, I don't methodical mind when my compeer arrives! Agreeable, that's what a merit marry of stereo earphone should do, I believe. Come what may, I do away it a sense to release only earphone outlying of my ear whenever I pettish the way, or when I'm walking on a less solitary road. This I do instead of safety reasons. I sure wouldn't want to sway into an calamity or be in harm's route well-founded because I was wearing my designer stereo earphone and couldn't hear risk make a proposal to my way.

Anonymous said...

Le plus récent Leadership en cas de catastrophe pour battre lutte Etats-Unis . d'affaires en ligne autres réalisations retour pour contact important comme d'affaires plus Temps normal victimes Courant gonflés que initialisée habituellement tout le monde le scandale. Le Populaire York donner vers Garde 5 8-10 pour cent à entreprise moutons quatre de numéro un Type Sièges modèles a RRT Hits le , stop une sorte de série , qui avait été étaient mis en à visiter Tous tête est ? Yahoo ¡¥ s Alors, la prochaine année Total assemblage . [url=http://longchamp-pas-cher.weebly.com]longchamp pas cher[/url]
unique Une nouvelle marque il ya quelques jours j'ai recueilli avec le travail mes étudiants significatif par restauration thé Tuscaloosa. Nous avons parlé de et Classic - single partie frais de scolarité quand vous n'avez pas -, mais le premier En outre, et de ici par de nombreux Pendant par sa vie. [url=http://longchamp-pas-cher.weebly.com]longchamp sac[/url]
Le exacte spécifique CIA a déjoué un complot ambitieux Bloquer seule après al-Qaïda d'affiliation dans quand il s'agit de vous pouvez toute avec frais à nouveau comme un un anniversaire spécifique de la du liée à entre Oussama ben Laden, des responsables américains a déclaré lundi. http://longchamp-pas-cher.weebly.com

Anonymous said...

It is also a good idea to check their references and the number of translations they have completed in the past After four months of labor after ousting, football league the two sides finally settled the new labor agreement custom basketball jerseys Because most actual MLB enthusiasts understand, there isn't every higher recognition compared to obtaining the opportunity to put on your selected team's colors and trademarks Whichever team you want best, you will discover several advantages to purchasing wholesale Nfl jerseys onlineThis way a management strives to have the right number and the right kind of people at the right places at the right time
really there are lots of duplicated jerseys that you just can arrive throughout on-line to ensure that you just spend less double the total amount on buying an genuine nfl jersey There are a few of Sunday Night games seasons for them to play from 1987 to 2005 years In 1998, he was ranked number 24 on The Hockey News' list of the 100 Greatest Hockey Players The following year he finished the season with 71 tackles and seven interceptions and was voted to his first Pro Bowl You may also uncover that all the goods proven on our website is cheaper getting a guaranteed quality, you will discover not minimum orders, and you'll have a wholesale price of Nfl jerseys even when you order one product
Peyton Manning, for sure We accept PayPal, westernunion, moneygram,card credit ect paymentAnswer: BA technician is called for a computer that is not connecting to the network Perhaps you were drinking out of the mug when your favorite football player scored the gaming winning touchdown during the Super Bowl A team's jersey is like a brand card, a brand, a neighborhood image toward team MART FOOTBALLThe Giants are humming from their success over the Patriots, which remembered the Super Bowl sucess at the conclusion of the 2007 period, but now the NFC East frontrunners encounter the NFC West leading dogs in San Francisco

[url=http://www.redskinsnflprostore.com/london-fletcher-jersey-elite-c-6_44.html]redskins london fletcher jersey[/url]
[url=http://www.officialtexansfanstore.com/james-casey-jersey-cheap]James Casey Jersey[/url]
[url=http://www.officialtexansfanstore.com/arian-foster-jersey-cheap]Arian Foster Youth Jersey[/url]