Thursday, November 18, 2004

After-Abortion Trauma Common New Study Shows

A new study of American and Russian women in the Medical Science Monitor shows that post-traumatic reactions to abortion may be far more common than previously thought. Among the findings:

American and Russian women reported fewer positive reactions to abortion than negative ones. The most commonly reported positive reaction was relief, but only 7 percent of Russian women and 14 percent of American women attributed this feeling to their abortions. American women were more likely to attribute to their abortion subsequent thoughts of suicide (36 percent), increased use of drugs or alcohol (27 percent), sexual problems (24 percent), relationship problems (27 percent), guilt (78 percent), and an inability to forgive themselves (62 percent). Approximately two percent of the American women studied attributed a subsequent psychiatric hospitalization to their abortion.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not at all surprised to see those high numbers for regret/inability to forgive. Just last week a family member attended a memorial service held by a friend to honor the child she'd aborted 20 years ago. It would be interesting to learn how these stats correlate with skyrocketing depression stats, including PPD. Even my friend who says she has no regret about her two abortions admits that she thought about both potential babies on the day her daughter was born.

R. Brenia

Anonymous said...

I had two abortions over 15 years ago. I was in my early 20's and at the time felt relief. However over the years grief & regret started to surface and it affected me, I rang a clarvoyent for help because I was convinced that when I died I was going to end up in hell. Just reading the word abortion would trigger all those self loathing words in my head. Only my husband knows about my abortions because he was the father. I am lucky to say I am now a mother of 2.I sometimes think that my relationship with husband suffers because I find it difficult to talk to him about it. He does not understand what I go through. When I wanted children I was convinced I was going to have difficlty getting pregnant because of the abortions. The regret will follow me to my grave. This is the first time I have ever mentioned it to anyone, I have always and still do feel ashamed. The tears are now starting to flow agan.