Saturday, November 20, 2004

articles 11/20 p.m.

Ohio State Bucks Trend, Defeats Michigan 37-21
Bid for Perfect Big Ten Season Spoiled
Michigan Wins Big 10, Heads to Rose Bowl

Prospect Magazine
Interview: Paul Wolfowitz
The US deputy secretary of defence challenges Europe to back the spread of democracy and explains why America is not an empire

Iran’s paradoxical views of America
By Nicholas Schmidle

Porter's House
CIA Director Porter Goss takes charge.
by Stephen F. Hayes

Reining in the CIA
by Joseph Jenkins

NY Times
Negotiators Add Abortion Clause to Spending Bill
By Sheryl Gay Stolberg & Carl Hulse

Excuses, excuses from Kerry
by Noah Lehigh

Pacers vs. Pistons Fight
Throw Down in Motown

No More Sham Elections
By Nicholas D. Kristof

Rolling Stone
Why Bush Won
A look at the numbers, what they really mean and what happens next

The Man, In Full
By Ed Driscoll

Clarence for Chief
by Robert Novak

H-hour has arrived
by Caroline B. Glick

Ticking
by David Warren

W. Times
Al Qaeda ties to Zarqawi stronger

Rolling Stone
The 500 Greatest Albums of All-Time
Rolling Stone asked musicians, critics, historians and key industry figures to rank their 50 favorites. The 273 participants included Beck, U2's The Edge, Jackson Browne, Art Garfunkel, Missy Elliott and members of Red Hot Chili Peppers, Metallica, Linkin Park and The Doors. The Ernst & Young accounting firm devised a point system to weight votes for 1,600 submitted titles. Voters were invited to identify favorites from any period or genre, allowing a smattering of country (Johnny Cash), jazz (Miles Davis) and seminal blues (Howlin' Wolf). The list also accommodates greatest hits collections and live recordings; four James Brown picks include two sets of hits and Live at the Apollo (1963). Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, Hank Williams, The Drifters and Loretta Lynn, who flourished during the era of 45s, are represented only by hits compilations.

Artists with the most entries in Rolling Stone's 500 best albums:
Beatles: 11
Bob Dylan: 10
Rolling Stones: 10
Bruce Springsteen: 8
The Who: 7
David Bowie: 6
Elton John: 6
5 each: The Byrds, Led Zeppelin, Neil Young, Otis Redding, U2

4 each: Madonna, Bob Marley, Elvis Costello, Grateful Dead, James Brown, Police, The Smiths, Velvet Underground, Pink Floyd, Prince, Roxy Music, Simon & Garfunkel, Sly & the Family Stone, Stevie Wonder, Talking Heads.

1950's or before: 29
1960's: 126 (55% of the top 20)
1970's: 183
1980's: 88
1990's: 61
2000+: 13

Albums by men or male-led groups: 439 (87.8%)
Women or female-led groups: 47 (9.4%)
Mixed groups (with more or less equal female and male lead singers): 14 (2.8%)



Rolling Stone
500 Greatest Songs Of All-Time

Acts With The Most Entries
Beatles: 23
Rolling Stones: 12
Elvis: 11
Beach Boys: 7
Jimi Hendrix: 7
U2: 7
Chuck Berry: 6
Prince: 6
Led Zeppelin: 6
Sly & The Family Stone: 6

Scoring the Decades
1940's: 1
1950's: 71
1960's: 202
1970's: 144
1980's: 55
1990's: 23
2000+: 3


ALL BECAUSE OF YOU
I was born a child of grace
Nothing else about the place
Everything was ugly but your beautiful face
And it left me no illusion
I saw you in the curve of the moon
In the shadow cast across my room
You heard me in my tune
When I just heard confusion

All because of you
All because of you
All because of you
I am...I am
I like the sound of my own voice
I didn't give anyone else a choice
An intellectual tortoise
Racing with your bullet train
Some people get squashed crossing the tracks
Some people got high rises on their backs
I'm not broke but you can see the cracks

You can make me perfect again
All because of you
All because of you
All because of you
I am... I am

I'm alive
I'm being born
I just arrived, I'm at the door
Of the place I started out from
And I want back inside

All because of you
All because of you
All because of you
I am

No comments: